Two Persons of Indian Origin Killed in Separate Incidents in New Zealand, U.S.

Akash Talati was killed at Fayetteville city in North Carolina, while Arishma Archana Singh was found dead with injuries on her face and body in Auckland.


Two persons of Indian origin were killed in separate incidents in the United States and New Zealand over the weekend. A 24-year-old woman was found dead at her house at Auckland in New Zealand on Nov. 12. A day earlier, a motel owner was shot dead in an exchange of fire between the assailant and the security guard in North Carolina.

Akash Talati, the 40-year-old owner of Knights Inn and Diamondz Gentlemen’s Club in Fayetteville city, North Carolina, was shot dead around 2 am on Nov. 11 when Markeese Dewitt opened fire at his club. Dewitt, 23, has been charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, according to CBS News.

The security guard at the club fired back at the assailant, hitting him about five times. Dewitt is in Cape Fear Valley Medical Centre. Four others were injured in the shoot-out. Dewitt was said to have been escorted out by the security guard when he caused a ruckus in the club. He reportedly came back with a gun and started shooting.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj took cognizance of the incident and said the government will provide all help to Talati’s family.

In the New Zealand incident, Arishma Archana Singh was found lying in a pool of blood on her bedroom floor in the early hours of Nov. 12. She had injuries on her face and body, NZ Herald reported. She is survived by her three-year-old daughter, whose custody she shared with her ex-husband. Singh, who was born at Nasinu in Fiji, had studied at the University of South Pacific and worked as a child educator.

The police have launched an investigation into the incident, and said that she may have been killed after an encounter with an intruder or burglar. They added that she was out for a friend’s birthday party and seems to have been killed as soon as she arrived home. Singh’s parents, who were visiting, found her body when they came home.

Her daughter was picked by her ex-husband, with whom she separated three years ago, on Nov. 11. The police are interviewing her family and no arrests have been made yet.

“It is still unclear what has gone on inside house. It’s early days but hopefully our scene examination and post mortem will reveal more,” Detective Inspector Gary Lendrum was quoted as saying to the media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *