Teenager Accused of Indian National’s Murder in New Zealand Denied Bail

Sandeep Dhiman, 30, was robbed and stabbed to death at Matahorua Road near Tutira on Dec. 18, 2017.


A teenager charged for the murder of Indian man Sandeep Dhiman in New Zealand has been denied bail but the court granted a continued name suppression. The 17-year-old girl has pleaded not guilty to murder and aggravated robbery.

Dhiman, a 30-year-old IT professional, was found dead at Matahorua Road near Tutira on Dec. 18, 2017. He was robbed and stabbed to death. Dhiman, a resident of Punjab in India, moved to New Zealand on a study visa in June 2015, and worked as a fiber technician at a leading company in New Zealand.

He was driving a gold-colored Toyota Passo between Hastings and Tutira when he attacked, robbed and killed. Dhiman lived in Napier and was going to visit India in January 2018 where he was supposed to get married.

Two mobile phones and Dhiman’s car were found with the two accused, one of whom is 17-year-old Shaun Liam Karauria. He was also charged with murder in December 2017. The girl appeared in court to seek electronically monitored bail, but the prosecutors opposed the application, the New Zealand Herald reported.

The prosecutors argued that the teenagers took his car and two cellphones after causing him grievous bodily harm. The teenagers were arrested soon after Dhiman’s death.

Judge Peter Churchman denied her bail and ordered a report about the availability of a secure youth facility where she could live before the trial in November 2018, while ordering that the name suppression be continued. The court was also told that his family would travel to New Zealand for the trial in November.

At the time of the murder, Dhiman’s parents were in Australia to visit his brother. He was discovered by a tanker driver 7 km away from the State Highway 2. His family took his body back to Kharar for cremation. The family thanked the Indian embassy in New Zealand for the help they provided in getting Dhiman’s body back.

Dhiman had spoken to his family at 6 pm and told them he would call back after buying milk.

“After not getting his call back, his mother Sudesh sent him messages on WhatsApp, which remained not seen till 7 am on Monday,” his father said, the Tribune had earlier reported. His employer filed an FIR after Dhiman failed to come to work on Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *