Stranded Indian Ship in UK to be Sold to Pay Crew

The crew of the Indian ship Malaviya Seven has been stranded at the Aberdeen harbor for more than a year.


Malaviya Seven, a Platform Supply Vessel owned by Mumbai-based company GOL offshore, will soon be auctioned to pay the outstanding wages of the Indian crew on board and other dues after it was detained in Aberdeen, Scotland, for more than a year. More than £600,000 has to be paid to the crew members as outstanding wages, according to the International Transport Workers Federation (ITF).

Reaching the decision of the offshore vehicle on Sept. 14, Sheriff William Summers at the Aberdeen sheriff court made it clear that this judgment comes because the vessel’s owner is now in liquidation. Summers also ruled that a detailed report on how the sale will proceed should be submitted soon.

Twelve Indian Nationals are now left on the board, and some of them have been staying on the stranded ship for nearly 15 months. Another 24 off-signed crew members are listed in the arrest writ.

Crew On Board

The Indian crew members stranded on the vessel used to play cricket on the deck to kill time, and they sometimes visited local football matches. Some of them used to visit the nearby churches, and finally, their prayers have been answered, as they will soon head to India after the auction.

“ITF inspectors are assisting the crew daily and spearheading the legal case on their behalf. This latest development is the next step towards the aim of getting crews both paid what they’re owed and safely home with their families,” an ITF official told the Hindustan Times.

The crew members of Malaviya Seven were facing immense mental pressure due to isolation from their family members, the BBC had earlier reported. “My daughter keeps asking every now and then: ‘When is papa coming back?’. It is very difficult,” Bamadev Swain, the chief officer of Malaviya Seven, was quoted as saying.

The crew members of the vessel refused to leave the ship as they thought they would never get paid by the owners.

The crew members also expressed their gratitude towards the Aberdeen people for warmly welcoming them.

The vessel was initially detained on July 2016, followed by a prolonged seize again in October.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *