Credit: Wikimedia Commons
The Indian Workers Resource Centre (IWRC) operating under the Indian embassy in Abu Dhabi, recently busted over 1,000 fake jobs for workers from the country.
The center receives many email queries on a regular basis from Indian job-seekers for verification of genuineness of offers, officials told the media during the opening of the second IWRC Office in Sharjah, according to Gulf News.
Dinesh Kumar, first secretary to the Indian Embassy (Community Affairs), revealed that the IWRC office in Dubai received 1,073 job verification enquiries until August 31. Out of this number, only 73 job postings were authentic, he said.
IWRC manager Dubai Anish Chaudhory also confirmed that an average of 10 such enquiries are received at the office daily. “Every day we get emails from people in India saying they have received job offers from the UAE, including even big companies. We try to reply to the queries the same day. We check the website of the UAE government and the websites of the companies offering jobs. We take help from the embassy and consulate also,” Chaudhory said while interacting with the media.
He added: “It is not just illiterate or less educated people who are duped. A lot of people especially university professors are also getting bogus job offers with salary of Rs. 200,000 to Rs. 300,000. Fake job offers in the name of many reputed companies have also been found.”
The Indian government tries to promoting safety, authenticity and legal migration for native job seekers, Navdeep Singh, the founder-member of Sharjah IWRC, said, the publication reported. “We are encouraging migration through registered recruitment agents. In the case of blue-collar workers, it has to be through the eMigrate online system,” he said, adding that a campaign in India also spreads awareness about fake job offers in the UAE.
IWRC also provided some statistics on the issue:
IWRC Services: 2016
- Total Calls Received: 24,049
- Total Interactions: 27,529
- Total Grievance-Related Interactions: 11,395
- Total Informative Interactions: 16,134
- Number of Email/Fax/SMS: 2,321
- Total Number of Complainants’ Visits: 1,465
- Total Awareness Campaigns: 49
- Total Legal Counselling Sessions: 1,183
- Total Personal Counselling Sessions: 39
- Total Financial Counselling Sessions: 35
IWRC Services: 2017 (Till August 31)
- Total Calls Received: 17,582
- Total Interactions: 22,961
- Total Grievance-Related Interactions: 10,175
- Total Informative Interactions: 12,786
- Total Email/Fax/SMS: 4,525
- Total Complainants’ Visits: 918
- Total Awareness Campaigns: 34
- Total Legal Counselling Sessions: 834
- Total Personal Counselling Sessions: 60
- Total Financial Counselling Sessions: 95